The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act
The McKinney-Vento Education Assistance Act is a federal law that provides services to families and unaccompanied youth that live in a temporary situation due to loss of housing.
You can view the law at the U.S. Department of Education website.
Eligibility for Services
- Living in shared housing due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reason.
- Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, cars, substandard housing, abandoned buildings, and/or campgrounds
- Living in emergency or transitional shelters
- Awaiting foster care placement
- Being an unaccompanied youth (not living with a parent or guardian) living in a temporary situation
- Being a migratory child who is living in any of the above circumstance
Parent and Student Educational Rights
- Immediate enrollment
- Removal of barriers to school enrollment
- School selection
- Transportation assistance (VIA)
- Immediate eligibility for free child nutrition
Speak with McKinney-Vento Staff
Please call Jessica Ariza at 210-333-6227 ex:10855.